Cowboy Trail Home
The Cowboy Trail of Nebraska
Cowboy Trail Map
Cowboy Trail Map

Stuart Locker

Grocery
Main Street
402-924-3301


Stuart Locker
Your Current Location (if allowed by browser)
Cowboy Trail

Forum Discussions about Stuart Locker

scenic areas
Kathy Dobb from Shawnee, Kansas on 5/17/2010 9:17:29 AM:
We are planning to try the Cowboy Trail this summer. We love the Katy Trail and have gone there several times. Are there some areas along the Cowboy Trail that are more scenic than others? Is the trail chat like the Katy? Is there a guidebook about the trail that we could order?

 
Ric from Omaha on 5/20/2010 11:14:37 AM:
I have ridden the CT from Norfolk to Atkinson numerous times...kind of. Only about 10% of the trail in this section is away from Hwy 275/20 and scenic. The other 90% runs adjacent to the Hwys so I ride on the Hwy shoulder which is very nice. The trail gets to be somewhat soft west of Tilden, so it's a struggle with my 1 1/8" road tires. No guide book I am aware of. All the towns along the way have places to camp and eat, but nothing real fancy. Norfolk/Neligh/O'Neill are slightly bigger towns. Trail chat???...probably not.

 
T Martens from Lees Summit, MO on 6/8/2010 3:17:30 PM:
Nebraska Cowboy Trail A users guide
by Keith Terry

 
Hiram from Knoxville on 6/8/2010 4:59:39 PM:
We rode last summer from newport to Neligh in two days. We found the trail to be very soft almost the whole way. We easily ride 10-12 mph on the katy, but struggled to go much above 6-8 mph on the Cowboy. With two panniers my mountain bike sunk into the ground about an inch on average. The locals we tlaked to said that most riders they saw wee using the highway shoulder rather than riding the trail itself. It seemed to us that the contractor that the state was using for trail construction had not done any compaction work after laying down the trail bed.

I'd get the trail guide to pick your route, its pretty clear about which sections are next to the highway and which are away from it.

The section jut east of newport was the prettiest we rode thru. We stayed at the Golden Hotel and loved it.